Friday, October 25, 2013

Frock Fridays: This Is Halloween

DC friends, Halloween 2010 (thank you, girls, for letting me post these!)

I'm pretty low maintenance when it comes to Halloween costumes.  My ideal is one for which I already have the main pieces and then I just have to pick up or make a few accessories, which explains last year's Devil in a Blue Dress outfit.  I absolutely love what my friends in DC did back in 2010 - they all went out on the town together as WMATA metro stations!  That's them, up there at the top of this post; simple and creative but instantly recognizable and a whole lot of fun.

So this year I've decided to be the Queen of Hearts, mostly modeled off the character in the 1951 animated Disney film.  I've got this red Calvin Klein dress already plus the J.Crew cardigan, black ballet flats similar to these and a black skinny belt like this one.  I have a silver tiara left over from my British hen do, though I'd like to find a cheap gold crown if I can before next Thursday, and I bought all the materials to make myself a giant playing card, which I'll wear on my back like a cape - and by "all the materials" I mean a posterboard, jumbo markers, black adhesive letters, and baker's twine.  I'm nothing if not sophisticated!

Apparently, one of the really pretty residential streets in my neighborhood is closed for the evening on Halloween and everyone comes out for a little block party.  This is my first autumn here so I'm not quite sure what to expect, but it sounds like tons o' fun from what everyone at the dog park says!  Charlie will join me, of course, in costume, which is another reason my own costume needs to have very little muss or fuss.  Can you imagine trying to juggle a complicated outfit and/or accessories with a dog who thinks that all of the children (and all of the candy) are out for his amusement?  No thank you!  But hopefully I've hit the mark here with simple, creative, and identifiable - what do you think, dear readers?
queen of hearts
linking up with {long distance loving}
 photo 866de425-8336-4c63-9efd-1c4dd8bf0e62_zpsafe0d56b.jpg

7 comments:

  1. I'm traveling to America on Monday so this will be my first American Halloween in three years! And it's my Little's bachelorette party that night so we are all going as a zombie bridal party, in hideous bridesmaids dresses for thrift stores, etc. And we've picked up an awful wedding dress for her costume. (And somehow have kept this a surprise from her. We'll see if she actually let's us smear in in zombie paint so close to her wedding!) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, I'm completely in love with those Metro shirts. If we move back to DC, I might have to steal that idea. :) I really like your Queen of Hearts costume too! So stylish!


    I doubt I'll dress up this year but I have my eyes on a hot dog costume for Ollie and a fat turtle outfit for Malcolm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite parts of the Metro Halloween costume night? We refused public transportation and took cabs everywhere (though in fairness we were running super late :)) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jess Gerrow / The Stroke BlogOctober 27, 2013 at 7:09 AM

    Funny, I used to hate Halloween but it's my husband's favourite holiday and it's starting to grow on me. I think living abroad has something to do with it, since it seems to bring out a collective nostalgia in us and our expat friends.


    What a brilliant costume idea! I especially love the "Off with her head" card :)


    I make my costumes with things I already own too. This year: gold leggings, white top, dollar store toy snakes that I spray painted gold, and some creative gold make up! I'm Medusa!


    We don't have Halloween here in Malta but the expat community here tends to rally and throw a few parties. Oh, how I would love to attend a Halloween block party though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the metro costume idea!! Brilliant! I haven't had a Halloween costume in a couple of years, but I do appreciate costumes for ladies around our age that aren't just "sexy kitten" or "sexy nurse." Queen of Hearts is way more creative. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't dressed up for Halloween in years, but if I did, I'm pretty sure I'd use things I already own! I love the idea of creating a costume from scratch rather than buying one! I love your costume idea -- I think it's perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate dressing up for Halloween. Mainly because the holiday always creeps up on me and I don't have time to prep a costume. And it costs money and I get grumpy about that. I'm a curmudgeon.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts and suggestions! Please do leave a comment so we can get to know each other better.