Sunday, July 8, 2012

Porch + Rocking Chair + Iced Tea

Okay, I promise that I'll soon stop being That Person Who Moans About The Weather All The Time - read this to understand the difference between moaning and complaining - but it is just so [expletive] miserable in DC.  In the past couple of weeks, we've broken a handful of heat records, and today marks the 11th straight day of temperatures over 95° and the fourth straight day of temperatures over 100°.  (For all of you dear readers in the UK who haven't taken off your wellies since May and who are layering jumpers under your raincoats, that means we're sweltering in the high 30s Celcius. You probably still win the Miserable Weather Contest anyway.  Darn.)

The problem with heat like this is that going outside seems like punishment - I don't know for what, but even the short wait at the bus stop to head home from work feels like I've been dropped into purgatory for a few awful minutes.  What I've missed most over the past two weeks of this dreadful heat is my end-of-the-day ritual: sitting on the porch in a rocking chair, iced tea in hand, enjoying the garden.

So when the heat breaks -  which it's supposed to do tomorrow, thank goodness - my first order of business will be to make some delicious iced tea and take it to my rocking chair on the porch.  I think I should get creative, though, to celebrate the return of temperatures in the 80s with some new (spiked) recipes...


I hope you've all had a beautiful weekend, dear readers, and that you're staying comfortable wherever you are!

(By the way, in the time it's taken me to write this post - my computer is deeply unhappy, so it's taken a while - the sky has clouded over and I've just heard rumblings from the sky.  Another storm is on the way!  Please, God, let us not lose power again.)


1 comment:

I love reading your thoughts and suggestions! Please do leave a comment so we can get to know each other better.