Thursday, April 14, 2011

Elbow Elbow Wrist Wrist

What with the international news media going absolutely bonkers over the upcoming royal wedding, I've sort of assumed that you haven't needed to get your information here.  (What are you doing getting the details here, anyway?  Silly dear readers!)  However, even though I won't be able to stake out the wedding in person - explanations to follow next week - I'm still enthusiastic about all the goings on.

Part of the reason I'm entranced, actually, is because of that whole every-girl-wants-to-be-a-princess issue.  Now, there are those crazy girls - mostly American, I believe - who take the whole thing a bit too far; these girls call themselves Harry Hunters and stalk the younger prince's favorite haunts in the hopes of ensnaring him.  I'm sure that a lot of girls fantasize about marrying an actual prince, but what I've been thinking about lately is how most girls more want to be treated like a princess in their relationships with their significant others, regardless of who these men might be.

I don't mean that girls want to be waited on hand and foot - although some definitely do - but rather that each girl has her own ideas about what constitutes being treated well.  Of course, there are the girls who just want to be with someone who can take care of them financially.  (The women's college across the street from my university was sometimes unfairly described as a place you could get your MRS degree as you might meet the future leaders of American industry and finance there.)  But for most girls, I think, absolutely including myself, being treated as a princess is more of an emotional thing.

I'm actually going to stop here because I know that anything further would be considered commentary on my relationship with Jon and, honestly, I'm not sure I'd be able to deny it.  But I do want to get you thinking: what does being treated like a princess mean to you?  Or, for my four male readers out there: how would you treat a girl like royalty?

Whatever your answer may be, make sure that in the next 15 days (the wedding's on the 29th, dontcha know) you practice your princess wave.  Elbow, elbow, wrist, wrist...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts and suggestions! Please do leave a comment so we can get to know each other better.