Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Swimming in the Sea

You know how people always say, post-break-up, that there are lots of fish in the sea?  Well, in the past week or so I've started to notice these fish, which has made me realize that I'm ready to jump back into that sea and start swimming.

Actually, let me clarify that: I realized that I was ready to jump back in when I looked down and noticed that I was doggie-paddling in the kiddie pool.  I realized that I should probably get my act together and start doing some freestyle in the actual ocean.


I've always been incredibly proactive about dating.  In high school, my dad joked that Starbucks was my prime hunting ground because I picked up a barista while he was working when I was in the tenth grade.  My come-hither line to Jon was, "Kiss me."  In the dating world, I know what I want and I'm not shy about trying to get it.  In fact, my approach to dating can be summed up by the law of large numbers: as the number of samples increases, the average of the samples is likely to reach the mean of the whole population.  What does this mean?  This means that the more dates I go on, the more successful dates I will have.  (If I don't understand the law of large numbers correctly and you, dear reader, happen to be a statistician and desperately want to correct me - don't.  I've very happy with my theory, which hasn't failed me in ten years of boycraziness.)  Also, mathematics aside, the more dates I go on, the more chances I have to prove the truth of the snazzy venn diagram that I just made:


And so - just to bring my overstretched metaphor full circle - I'm going to start swimming properly.  No more doggie paddling, no more kiddie pools.  Into the sea I go.  I hope you'll enjoy reading about my adventures!

3 comments:

  1. The transition after a breakup is always difficult, but it seems like you're handling it well. I hope you meet someone who makes you very happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I hope there are lots of good fish out there for you to choose from :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I forgot how much fun dating can be - what an adventure!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts and suggestions! Please do leave a comment so we can get to know each other better.