Sunday, August 8, 2010

Too Short a Weekend

As I mentioned, Jon and I have come down to his family's house in Suffolk for the weekend.  It's been lovely and relaxing.  We had a lie-in (such a British phrase!) yesterday morning and then ambled to Aldeburgh, where we ate ice cream on the beach and wandered the high street.  Last night featured a barbecue (of course) with the extended family and friends.  Today's activities revolve around the cousins (aged 10, 13, and 15) who want to go to the Meare to frolic; I'm told we'll be renting rowboats and playing "pirates" in the lake and on the islands.  Unfortunately, Jon and I have to head back to London late this afternoon - originally we planned to stay here until Monday morning, but peak-time train tickets are prohibitively expensive and so we had to make alternative arrangements.  (How crazy is it that it's cheaper to fly to most places in Europe for a weekend than it is to take a train to Suffolk for a weekend?  Crazy!)

I really am enjoying the weekend, but I can't stop thinking about next week at work.  You see, although my induction week was two weeks ago, the woman I replaced didn't leave till this past Friday, which means that although I was doing proper work last week I had a sort of safety net - I absolutely abused her presence in the office by asking her tons of questions.  This week she's gone and so is my boss, off on holiday and unaccessible by email, and so I'm completely on my own.  I have to admit, I'm a little nervous!  I have a to-do list as long as my arm, so I'll certainly be busy, and I don't mean to underestimate myself and how much I know and how much I've learned in the past two weeks, but I am still a little apprehensive.  What if something comes up and I don't know how to handle it?  Eek!

On the bright side, though, once I get through this week successfully I'll know I can get through anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts and suggestions! Please do leave a comment so we can get to know each other better.