Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Two Thousand Thirteen

Happy New Year, dear readers!  Did you celebrate auld lang syne last night?  I'll post a full recap of our evening later in the week - though if you follow me on Twitter you probably caught some glimpses of our party - but I thought that today, the first of 2013, would be a good time to touch base as we head into the new year.

I'm not going to write up any goals for the year before us.  Instead, I'm going to continue focusing on something a bit more holistic: changing my attitude.  I think I've done pretty well on centering myself amongst chaos, which was last year's resolution, though obviously it's something I'll need to be mindful of for the rest of my life.  This year's resolution is sort of an extension of that.  I want to remember that everything is relative.  I don't need to be the best; I just need to be better than I was yesterday.  If I can do that, I can say I have succeeded in keeping who I am and what I do in perspective.


And now I'm delighted to be able to share the details you've all been waiting for!  Here are some of the changes that have already been put in motion and that will continue to unfold through this new year:

I gave notice at the theater in late October, four and a half months after I started working there; my last day was November 16th.  My first interview with the new organization was on December 1st, and two weeks later I accepted their offer!  I'll be working as Major Gifts Officer for an amazing museum in DC and I can't wait to start on January 7th.  The organization is bigger than any I've worked in before, and they have a very different appreciation for the role that fundraising plays in the arts than any of my previous employers.  I'm going to learn so much from my colleagues and I really look forward to growing in this new position.  (Also, I've decided to do a few posts about my job hunt.  Hopefully you all can learn from my experiences!  Watch out for those on upcoming Mondays this month.)

This was always a bit up in the air, even before I moved back to DC, and my feelings about me living at home have fluctuated wildly since June.  (To be honest, I think my parents' views on it have as well!)  I love being close to Mom and Dad, don't get me wrong; but at a certain point I will need to do my own thing and let them get back into their groove.  We've decided that I'll start looking for a place for me and Charlie over the summer with the goal of starting a lease in September.  That way I can spend the next eight months working on rebuilding my savings account, plus it means I won't have to worry about moving until after the wedding, which I'm sure will relieve some stress!  The first complicating factor is that there aren't tons of places in DC that accept large dogs.  The second is that I have to find somewhere that is good not just for me and Charlie but also for Jon as well.  Because:

Yes, dear readers: Jon's moving to DC after we get married!  He's now told his boss which means that we can announce it publicly.  (We have known for a while, actually, but these things have to unfold in a certain way!)  We'll still hop back and forth across the pond together as much as we can, of course, though we'll be based in the United States for the first few years of our marriage.  We can't see too far beyond that yet because - well, who knows what could happen in that time?  We certainly plan on living in England again eventually!  But we're shifting things west for now.  The visa process takes some time, so Jon most likely won't be here for real until 2014.  We'll tell you more as things develop!


  

23 comments:

  1. it's nice to have things mapped out! Sounds like this year is going to bring many wonderful things. Starting with your new job on my birthday!


    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - tons of great news. Congratulations and happy 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! That's amazing news!! So happy for you two!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it feels so crazy to be looking ahead to things like September when the new year has only just begun, but I guess that's just what happens when you have big decisions and big changes on the horizon. goodness knows I need to start stressing out more about what will happen to me after August...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eeeeek! I love ALL of this, B! New job, new home, and a NEW HUSBAND! 2013 is seriously going to be your year, hun! Excited to see it all unfold! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. 2013 is going to be a very exciting year for you lovey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! A happy new year, indeed, Betsy! Congratulations on the new gig. It sounds like an amazing opportunity. And hooray for Jon moving to DC! Cheers to 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HAPPY NEW YEAR!! (Picture me bursting into the room with my arms in a big Y over my head.) And yay for the news all becoming blog-ficial!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Also I'm glad the "still live in England eventually" is there, so we have time to figure out adult-adoption policies so I can go with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year! And a big congrats on ALL the news! If you need any advice, words of wisdom or just a general pep talk of the 'you will get through the visa nonsense' talk just let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhh, so much good stuff happening for you (and Jon) in 2013!!! I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 2013 will be an exciting year for sure. It's so great to hear how things are falling into place. Cheers to a blessed year ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 2013 looks like it will be amazing... I'm so excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So excited for you and Jon! Best wishes for the new year xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. How exciting!! Sounds like 2013 is off to a great start for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on all these exciting things happening in 2013 Betsy! I hope this year is everything you want it to be, and much, much more! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. you guys are the BEST! thanks for all of these sweet words, friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on your new job! I have no idea what a major gifts officer is (just had to google it) - sounds like a really interesting line of work! That's very exciting news that Jon will be living in the US with you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Her Late Night CravingsJanuary 2, 2013 at 9:48 AM

    Congrats on the new job!! Sounds like it will be the perfect fit! And how fabulous that Jon will be moving to the States! Yay!! Happy New Year friend!


    Jayme & Mendi

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yaaaaay I love everything about this post. I'll be sure to keep my eye out for dog-friendly places in the city!

    ReplyDelete
  21. finally catching up on some reading!! how exciting that Jon is moving over here eventually, good luck with the Visa process, lots of work but obviously more than worth it! Also congrats on the job, i used to dream of working in an art museum when I was little!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. AW YAAAAY for Jon moving to the US!!! Okay, that settles it: Nick and I HAVE to make a trip to DC in 2014 :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts and suggestions! Please do leave a comment so we can get to know each other better.