Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Falling Temperatures

The Indian summer, which shall hereby also be known as Those Five Days In October When It Was Unexpectedly Hot And Sunny And Everyone Freaked Out, is over.  The remnants of Hurricane Ophelia are apparently going to squelch most of the northwest of England soon, and London is looking forward to this over the next few days:


I even heard a rumor that we should be on the lookout for snow by the end of the month, though I don't know who "we" is in this case - perhaps those of us who live in the Scottish highlands?

Any road, I noticed some unmistakable signs of autumn today.

1. There were little bits of dry brown leaves in my shoes after walking through Clapham Common.
2. The kids (that I sort of live with) have amassed a huge pile of conkers on the back patio.
3. It was dark when I arrived home at 7:15pm.

Yes; it is autumn.  And, as it's early October, all is as it should be.  Therefore, this might be a good opportunity to write a little letter to the high street...

Dear High Street,
It's 4 October.  25 December is 81 days away.  While I love the Christmas season and I do respect your right to celebrate the birth of Our Lord and Saviour every day, please, for the love of - well, you know who - keep St. Nick out of your display windows for another six weeks.  I'm not ready to see tinsel or chocolate coins or coniferous trees yet.  It is understandable that you want to capitalize on this great opportunity to sell festive things, but let me point out that you can make a lot of money from Halloween, which is only 26 days away.  I beseech you: wait!
Sincerely,
Betsy

1 comment:

  1. You could always try to introduce a Thanksgiving sort of theme. That staves off Xmas for a few more weeks!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts and suggestions! Please do leave a comment so we can get to know each other better.