Monday, September 6, 2010

Nomming into Autumn

I'm not hiding from it anymore.  JCrew is featuring sweaters and boots in its catalogues.  Charcoal is disappearing from the aisles of the supermarkets.  Night is encroaching earlier and earlier in the evenings.

I'm admitting it: autumn has arrived.

I should have known this was coming sooner - the UK's summer bank holiday was last weekend and today is Labor Day in the States.  Really, I should have been preparing myself for weeks.  But I did my ostrich thing and buried my head in the sand, obstinately sporting dresses without tights or cardigans and refusing to tote around an umbrella.  Until yesterday.

Yesterday I acknowledged autumn with open arms - and an open kitchen.  What?  You don't think that kitchens recognize the passing of the seasons?  They absolutely do!  In fact, that's the first place I exhibit awareness of the weather.

In celebration of autumn, yesterday I made delicious muffins from the Hummingbird Bakery cookbook that Jon gave me as part of my birthday present.  They were a huge hit at my housewarming party!  Let me share the recipe with you:


Spinach and Cheese Muffins

2 tbs butter
1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
2 3/4 c all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 c grated cheddar cheese
1 c whole milk
1 egg
4 oz baby spinach leaves, shredded

Preheat the oven to 170*c (325*f).  Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, then fry the onion until cooked.  Set aside.

Combine the flour, baking powder, cayenne pepper, and cheese in a large bowl.  In a separate bowl, mix the egg and milk together, then slowly pour into the flour mixture and mix until well combined.  Stir in the onion and spinach with a wooden spoon until evenly dispersed.

Spoon the mixture into the muffin tin until 2/3 full and bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until deep golden.  A skewer inserted in the centre should come out clean.  Leave the muffins to cool slightly in the pan before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.  Then nom away - perfect for cooler weather!

(Another autumnal recipe will follow tomorrow.)

1 comment:

I love reading your thoughts and suggestions! Please do leave a comment so we can get to know each other better.