Sunday, September 19, 2010

Do You Lapin?

Success! Dinner last night was a success. I know you're not supposed to make new recipes for guests, but it think it keeps things more interesting when you do. I truly had no idea what I was doing with the rabbit, but it turned out delicious - if I do say so myself - and so I will share the recipe with you here. (Note: it is half based on this recipe and half based on what the butcher told me to do and half based on me messing around. Yes, I know that I've got three halves in there. Roll with it.)

Braised Rabbit with Chorizo
(Serves 6)

2 rabbits, jointed
6 links of chorizo
1/2 bottle of red wine (I used a pinot noir)
2 cans diced tomatoes
4 onions, diced
4 tbs garlic, minced
6 carrots, chopped to 1" thick chunks
6 stalks of celery, chopped to 1" thick chunks
2 cubes chicken bullion
olive oil
salt and pepper

Wash rabbit pieces and then pat dry. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then brown rabbit lightly in batches, turning over once. Transfer as browned to a plate.

Cut the chorizo links in half and cook in 2 tablespoons oil, sealing the ends first, in the skillet. Set aside.

In a large pot cook onions, garlic, carrots, and celery in 2 tablespoons oil, stirring frequently, until onions begin to brown, 4-5 minutes. Add 1/4 bottle of wine and deglaze by boiling, stirring and scraping up any brown bits, until wine is reduced by about half, about 2 minutes. Stir in the other 1/4 bottle of wine, the cans of diced tomatoes with their liquid, and the two chicken bullion cubes. Season with salt and pepper. Nestle the rabbit pieces and the chorizo in sauce and bring to a simmer. Cover pot and let simmer on low heat for three hours.

Arrange rabbit pieces and chorizo on a platter and spoon sauce on top. Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts and suggestions! Please do leave a comment so we can get to know each other better.