Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Magic of Gumtree, and Trickery

I miss flat-hunting.  I miss fantasy flat-hunting online, and I feel like I missed out on the thrill of flat-hunting through the streets.  Is that weird?  Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted that Jon and John and Sam found us a place.  I'm really looking forward to  moving in one month from now and exploring the neighborhood (Jon and I are probably going to wander around Clapham on Saturday to get a feel for the area).  But I was having fun searching!  That's definitely weird, isn't it?

I've found a replacement, though.  I've moved on from www.findaproperty.com to www.gumtree.com.  Sure, you can use Gumtree to search for houses and flats, too, but I use it to look for nannying jobs and bicycles.  I've moved on in my fantasy world, you see.  If I don't get one of the trillions of development jobs I've been applying for, I'll babysit full-time!  And even though I wouldn't commit to nannying until September, I need to see what's out there now, just to get a feel for things.  Also, I've always wanted to be one of those cute girls who rides around town on a vintage bike with a basket, her skirt blowing in the breeze.  You know, like in this photo:


(For now let's forget about the fact that I have never been and will never be "cute" and that the idea of bicycling around London terrifies me.  As does the possibility that I may not have a job come September.  Maybe Gumtree is a psychological tool I'm using to convince myself that it'll all be okay.  Hm.  Could be.) 

2 comments:

  1. Ooh you're moving to Clapham, I won't be far as I'm moving to Battersea!

    ps~ I dream of being that girl on the bike too but I am also terrified of bicycling in London actually pretty much bicycling anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I biked in London! It was terrifying for about 10 minutes and then it was pure bliss.

    But that could be because I was in a large group, we had a guide and we stuck (mostly) to the parks.

    CONGRATS ON THE JOB SUCCESSES!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts and suggestions! Please do leave a comment so we can get to know each other better.