Sunday, June 6, 2010

Lazy Sunday

So no, I am not packing today.  I haven't heard anything about my visa.  I called the service that the British consulate uses for its visa stuff on Friday, and they opened an inquiry into the status of my application with the consulate.  They said I should hear back from the consulate on Monday.  (How rediculous is that, by the way? I have to contact a third party just to request a status update from the consulate - I won't necessarily find out if I've been approved, I'll just find out where I am in the process.  Seems pretty convoluted to me...)  The chances of me making my flight on Tuesday are pretty much nil at this point.  Not sure to when I should change it though!  I'd like to think this can't take more than another week, and I obviously want to fly out as soon as I get my passport back, but I don't want to be overly optimistic and then have to change the flight a third time.  Maybe I'll make it for the 18th?  That's twelve days away.  I have to get my visa by then, right?  Right?  Yargh!

Today's a bit of a lazy day.  I have some errands to do, but mostly I've been napping and watching Glee on Hulu (gotta get caught up before the season finale on Tuesday, natch).  I have to admit that I'm not too motivated to be productive; I can do things during my weekdays now that I'm unemployed.  Or funemployed, as the kids are calling it these days!  I give it three days before the fun wears off, though, and I spend my time stomping around and snapping at people.  I don't do well without routine or structure!

The wine festival was lots of fun yesterday, though it was hot as... well, it was hot.  The place was mobbed and all the tasting stations had lines six people deep, so Nikki and I sort of circumvented the whole process by tasting the wines from one vintner, buying a bottle of the wine we liked best, and then sitting on the grass in front of the stage and drinking it while jamming to the live jazz.  (This may or may not have happened more than once...)  I'm glad we both dressed casually, though, because it was much more like a county fair than what I expected from a wine event!    There were tons of tents for all the wineries, of course, but there were also tents for fair food like corn dogs and funnel cakes and soft serve ice cream and things.  Kids were running around everywhere - the demographic was mostly people under 40, I'd guess - and people had brought lawn chairs and coolers and I even saw a group of guys playing cornhole!

Since I generally find fair food totally disgusting, I packed a picnic of noodles in peanut sauce and cabbage salad for us.  I'd never made the noodle dish before, but it was yum - and so good cold on the hot day!


Cold Peanut Sesame Noodles

1 lbs whole wheat spaghetti
1 seedless cucumber
5 scallions, chopped
2 tsp white sesame seeds, toasted
2 tbs natural peanut butter (has less sugar than the normal kind!)
2 tbs rice vinegar
3 tablespoons tahini
2 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs sugar
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tbs garlic
1 tsp ginger paste

While the pasta is cooking, peel the cucumber and slice it into thin strips.  Whisk the last eight ingredients together until well blended - I found it easier to whisk after microwaving the mixture for twenty seconds.  When the pasta is cooked, drain and rinse under cold water.  Add to the bowl with the sauce and toss to coat.  Add the cucumber, scallions, and sesame seeds, and toss again.  This dish should be made ahead and refrigerated - it's fine at room temperature but even better cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts and suggestions! Please do leave a comment so we can get to know each other better.