Thursday, June 17, 2010

Bits and Bobs

Am home sick tonight - was supposed to go to see Mrs. Warren's Profession at the Shakespeare Theatre tonight with my friend Alex, but literally couldn't stomach leaving the house.  Boh.  Think I'll use this opportunity on the couch to catch up on some bits and bobs that I've wanted to share here for a while but hadn't had the opportunity to yet.

Newsweek article on the evolution of English into a global language.  I took a class in college called Human Communication (very interesting, even though I didn't do too well) and I remember the professor complaining about grammar purists.  Now, I'm definitely a grammar snob, but what he said made sense if I'm remembering it correctly.  He essentially told us that language is supposed to mutate over time, and that that's the mark of a successful language because if a language doesn't change over time it will eventually die.  So when sticklers for the "correct" use of a language insist on the strict maintenance of rules for that language they are really burying it.  Interesting!

Gorgeous photo shoot for the July issue of US Vogue starring Ewan McGregor, whom I have always loved, and Natalia Vodianova.  I'm crazy about the '50s styling - the 1950s has always been one of my favorite eras for clothes.  Maybe that's part of the reason I like Mad Men so much!  You can find the whole shoot here,  but this is my favorite image from it.  Love love love the blue Vera Wang dress - and the James Dean bartender!  Ewan, you've got competition for my heart!


NY Times article (that hit a bit close to home) about those of us in our 20s taking longer to grow up than previous generations.  I've always considered myself independent, but I have been living in my parents' house for the past year and accepting - gratefully - their generosity.  I suppose there are different kinds of independence...

Think that's about it!  Goodnight, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts and suggestions! Please do leave a comment so we can get to know each other better.