Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Wind Bloweth Where It Listeth

(Post Title - John 3:8)

I was mean over the weekend.  I met a very young, very cute geography teacher who said he could educate me about the volcano in Iceland and about all the disruption it was causing - what did I want to know?  "How do you pronounce it?" I asked.  He looked absolutely flummoxed.  Oops.


Obviously, thousands of people are being inconvenienced by the volcano and the ash and grit it's spewing out.  Travelers are stranded far from home, produce is rotting in warehouses, and millions of dollars are being lost every day that airplanes are grounded.  Bother aside, I thought it was a kind of welcome, if abrupt, reminder that no matter how powerful we humans are - no matter how much we screw with the earth - nature can overwhelm us in a heartbeat.  And then I remembered: I have two documents being airmailed from London!  I need them in order to get my visa!  [Expletive], [expletive], [expletive]!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts and suggestions! Please do leave a comment so we can get to know each other better.