In no particular order, here are ten of the most important things my mom has taught me over the past 28 years. Happy Mother's Day, Mom. Thanks for all the lessons, even - especially - when I didn't want to learn them. I love you!
1. There's always room on the bed for the dog.
2. Every relationship involves give and take; the ratio doesn't have to be 50:50 for the relationship to be equal.
3. There's no shame in crying at everything/anything.
4. Pick your battles.
5. Losing with grace can be just as effective as winning.
6. Fresh air and exercise will almost always make you feel better.
7. When fresh air and exercise fail, turn to chocolate.
8. It's okay to put people on pedestals.
9. It's okay to keep them on pedestals even when you know they don't really belong up there.
10. If there isn't room on the bed for the dog, get a bigger bed.