Monday, September 29, 2014

Moving in and Settling Down


Well, I'm pleased to report that Jon and I are on day three of shifting all of our possessions down the hall from one apartment to another and we're still together both physically and emotionally.  It would be a lie to say that some casual threats haven't been flung around, but we're actually having fun with this.  Believe it or not, even moving hasn't propelled us out of the honeymoon stage after more than two years apart.

I made a real effort to call the last apartment "our" apartment and I conferred with Jon before making decor decisions because I wanted him to feel like it was his home, too, but realistically it would have always seemed like mine.  That's why the timing of this move, though unexpected and largely unsought, is perfect; we found out the day Jon arrived that it was an option, picked out paint colors that weekend, and began moving five days later.  And so this apartment, right next door to the first, is technically our first real apartment together as a couple.  What a start to the new year, right?  Talk about moving oneself as the rabbis suggest!

The plan is that we'll stay in this apartment until we can buy our own place.  It'll take a few years, given the state of our savings accounts after months of unemployment (formerly mine and now Jon's until he finds a job in the States), the price of maintaining a transatlantic relationship, and the cost of the visa process, but I'm okay with that.  I mean, I want us to own our home one day, but I'm so glad to be settling down for an extended stay in one place.  It's strange to think that my stint in the last apartment, all 17 months of it, is the longest I've lived at any one address since I graduated from high school.

I've spent years in one city before moving to another, but, like most college students and recent grads, I moved every year or so until my mid-20s.  Since 2004, I've lived in five different rooms in Manhattan, two apartments in Paris, three flats in London, my parents' house in suburban Maryland, and in this building, my current home, in Washington, DC.

Whew!  What a whirlwind.  Jon had been at the flat in North London that he left ten days ago for three years, so he's good at settling in and settling down.  In fact, I think he'll be guest posting here tomorrow to tell you how he feels about the new apartment...

 photo 866de425-8336-4c63-9efd-1c4dd8bf0e62_zpsafe0d56b.jpg

10 comments:

  1. Can I just say from all your instagrams of the new place- I am in love with your new flooring! It's gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I was on the train this morning it also crossed my mind that my time at our current apartment (24 months) is about to exceed all of the other durations of 'homes' I've had since leaving my parents' house 13 years ago.


    I love that the new apartment came available at the perfect time for you both to settle in together and from what I've seen via Instagram, it looks lovely! There is so much light!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like the commenter below me our current place will be my longest since moving out of my parents house. It really was perfect timing for this new place and I am excited to see some pictures of it all furnished!

    ReplyDelete
  4. all that matters is that you two are together in the same place now!! Enjoy it! and btw there's NO reason you need to ever get outta that honeymoon stage!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny what locations end up being milestone homes. After my parents house, I lived in my third apartment in Dallas the longest (2 years, one month). And I have ZERO photos of the inside of it, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh, I love seeing updates from you! So happy for you guys xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of this is so exciting! And I know what you mean about the constant traveling since graduation. Not counting short stays at my parents (2 weeks to 3 months at a time), I've lived in eight apartments/houses in six cities in three countries in five years. The longest was my own darling apartment in Columbus for 14 months, before moving to Findlay with Dan.
    I can't wait to see your new apartment, and I can't wait to hear from Jon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to hear all about the adventure of living together again haha! Sounds like the move went well. I've moved around loads, but I did live at my parents house for three years after college. And that was my longest in one place! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it makes the transition a lot easier if you can move into a new place together when you're moving in together, rather than someone else moving into your turf! Or maybe that's me, control junkie that I am. Hope it all goes well, and again, so many congrats on weathering the distance!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How convenient! I love the idea of you guys moving into a new place together, even if it is just next door. A change of scenery can do so much, even if it's closeby!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts and suggestions! Please do leave a comment so we can get to know each other better.