Monday, January 21, 2013

Second Inaugural

Far better writers than I will explore the legacy that today will yield; the second inauguration of this country's first black president, held on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and attended by Americans of every background and creed, will hopefully usher in a new era in which we "make these words, these rights, these values – of Life, and Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness – real for every American."  As President Obama said this afternoon, looking out over the Mall towards the Washington Monument and beyond to the Lincoln Memorial, "Being true to our founding documents does not require us to agree on every contour of life; it does not mean we will all define liberty in exactly the same way, or follow the same precise path to happiness. Progress does not compel us to settle centuries-long debates about the role of government for all time – but it does require us to act in our time."

I hope that you were all stirred by the inauguration today.  I hope that we all - whether or not we agree with Obama's statements on women's equality, gay rights, climate change, healthcare, financial reforms, and foreign policy - will be encouraged to find our voices, to take a stand, and to act.  Let's see what we can do with these next four years.




My series about job hunting will return next Monday!
See Follow Your Dreams (part three) and The Hunt for the first two installments.

3 comments:

  1. I was absolutely delighted to see President Barack Obama, the first African-American President of the United States, win re-election (I stayed up all night to follow it!) and am pleased he was able to make a second inaugural speech. I haven't yet watched the speech but I want to see it soon; I like what I've heard so far and want to hear the rest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. me too - or, at the very least, that they focus their disagreements in a productive way rather than being purely obstructionist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was separated from Paul during the speech (I'd had to pee, and then used the wrong black and white beanie as my spot-marker) and, as he was being all good and texting me to help me find him, I kept stopping to cheer and wave my flag. It was such a great speech! I seriously felt so invigorated. AND the crowd was just fantastic. Even when we were all squeezing through the gate to get into the Mall area, people were chatting and laughing and sharing stories- the camaraderie and jovial spirits were just so infectious, even if we weren't already jazzed to be there.
    As the speech was going on, though, and since I was moving through the crowd, I overheard all kinds of cheers and side comments from people- it was so much fun! I think I'll post on that, though- save it for my blog ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts and suggestions! Please do leave a comment so we can get to know each other better.