Monday, November 19, 2012

Thankful


This past year has held huge change for me.  Since last Thanksgiving, I quit my job in London, got engaged, moved back to the States, accepted a job in DC, adopted Charlie, and resigned from the job in DC.  All of the ups and downs have really highlighted the amazing people who have been here for me along the way, and I want to take a minute today to thank a few of them - and you.

There’s so much to acknowledge here, but right now I want to say thank you for giving me the freedom to be transatlantic.  We first visited England together when I was 11, and you encouraged me to go abroad as often as I could through high school and college.  When I told you I’d been accepted to a graduate program in London, you barely blinked – though Mom and I both cried saying goodbye at the airport.  You supported me when I decided to move back to England to be with Jon, and you graciously understood when I told you that we wanted to get married in Suffolk.  I wouldn't be embarking on this next chapter of my life if you hadn't championed my adventures and lent me your trust and strength. I love you.
Before my four-year anniversary with Jon, I posted him a parcel of his favorite American junk food.  I told you that he had requested Combos, and you texted back, "That's my brother-in-law! What flavor will you be sending?"  Your text made me cry because I'd never heard you call Jon that and it was so sweet.  And then it made me a little nauseous because Combos are disgusting and the last thing I wanted to think about was whether to get jalapeño cheddar or pepperoni pizza.  And then it made me laugh because that's a totally valid question, and it means that you're practical and romantic at the same time and that you want me to be happy and that's what I want for you too and so it's probably a good thing that we're sisters.

I know that the amount of personal information I share on this blog makes you uncomfortable, so I'll keep this short and sweet: thank you for always having my best interests at heart. Thank you for pushing when I need a push and understanding that, when I push back, it's because I know you'll steer me in the right direction through sheer force of love and momentum.
You've been here for a few days now, so you've heard all of this already - but I'm going to say it again. Thank you for your limitless patience and unending love, thank you for seeing beyond our struggles with the geographical distance and for focusing on the joy of connecting in any way we can whenever we can; thank you for reminding me that natural is glamorous and simple is sexy, thank you for taking me in both good and bad states and somehow averaging them out to see the best woman possible.  I love you with all of my soul.

You've only been in my life for three months, but you've already taught me so much.  Because you of, I see the delight rather than the duty in running, the contentment rather than the guilt of a mid-morning nap, and the pleasure rather than the discomfort of being squished by someone who loves you.  You are my babyfaced sweetie pie, Charlemagne, and you have stolen my heart.

It's amazing, you know, to come to my blog and find messages of love and support and encouragement from all over the globe - my mother couldn't quite believe that your comments on Thursday were flying in from South Africa, Norway, England, France, and every corner of the United States.  I'm beyond touched by the relationships I've built through blogging, and I'm grateful to each and every one of you for your unfailing company as I've navigated this year.  And I'm thankful, too, for my friends in real life, who are too often neglected on this blog.  Whether from school, college, or graduate school, Washington, New York, or London - you have been unwavering in your love and enthusiasm for every adventure I have embarked upon, and I couldn't have been as brave (if I have been brave) without your constant friendship.  Thank you.


19 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful week with Jon, and a lovely Thanksgiving! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many things to be thankful for this year! :) My list is quite similar to yours: family, friends, fiance, a roof over my head, food in my belly, travel! The list could go on :)


    xxx
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay thank you - and to you and yours, Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmm FOOD IN MAH BELLEH. (why do I have a Scottish accent there? Who knows. haha!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't even begin to count what I'm thankful for this year! (it might even take me until next Thanksgiving to count!)
    you're little blurps about everyone were so sweet! brought a tear to my eye!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post! I am so thankful for my family & friends and mostly to my other half, who reminds me of why i'm with him every day and helped me to overcome my anxiety by backpacking and living abroad :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so touching!! The Combos thing made me laugh as well- because they ARE gross, but come on, I have a hard time turning down a zebra cake. So no judgement from here! I hope your week is full of fun, laughter, love, but most of all, contentment. I

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so sweet! Thanksgiving is such a great holiday, because it encourages people to give thanks to others like this. I LOVE THANKSGIVING.

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha Jon and I haven't gotten quite that far yet - maybe your boy can give Jon some pointers about how to reduce my exploring-induced anxiety!

    ReplyDelete
  10. he got them at a rest stop on the NJ Turnpike so he thinks they're the Most American Things Ever. obviously. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. yay me too! happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. my beau and the chance to see the world!

    xo the egg out west.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha yes! We always wanted to spend a year away travelling and I never thought I would be able to do it - the anxiety is still there but I am so glad I did it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. aww Betsy :) this post made me tear up a little bit, especially when you were talking about Jon. there is a seemingly endless list of things that I am thankful for, as I have been blessed with so many opportunities and good things in life, but I'm especially happy that I'm getting to know sweet people like you through the magic of the internet. I hope you and your sweetie are having a great time getting to see each other again. :) happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I felt a comment earlier but it didn't save :(
    This is a very sweet post. I'm so thankful for all the lovely people in my life and the love that is shared

    ReplyDelete
  16. both things together are very thanks-worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. aw yay :) amen to the magic of the internet! wishing you a very very happy holiday

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh no! but I love the sentiment - so simple but so encompassing. exactly what we need to remember right now!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts and suggestions! Please do leave a comment so we can get to know each other better.