Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Wedding Wednesdays: Caterers and Customer Service

It's been a while since you heard about the active planning process that Jon and I undertook as our wedding began to take shape this past spring, so let's pick up where we left off, shall we?



The first vendors we approached after signing on the dotted line with our venue were potential caterers.  Bruisyard Hall asked that we hire one of their three approved options, which, to be honest, I wasn't thrilled about at first.  I wanted the opportunity to be creative - Jon and I love good food, and we were afraid of being stuck with the same dry chicken that urban legend decrees must be served at weddings.  But, because I knew that the estate was making an effort to break into the luxury holiday market in a truly sparkling way, I decided to trust them and check out their suggestions.  After all, if Bruisyard Hall wanted to be seen as a sumptuous destination, they'd want their catering options to match, right?


Now, much like the tale of our search for a wedding coordinator, the story of how we found our wedding caterer doesn't start out promisingly... but, thrillingly, it has a very happy ending.  We were given the names of the venue's three approved options, and I dutifully sat down at my computer to research the possibilities.  The first website I visited was very swish, the second less so, and the third - I hate to say - was distinctly unimpressive.  So, as first impressions can't be ignored, I contacted the first two caterers.

The first company was very professional and polite on the phone, and within a few days their glossy brochure had arrived at my house by post.  Their menus (and photography) looked amazing, but it was obvious that they were far out of our budget.  Sadly, I called them back to say thank you; of course, they understood.

The second company was a bit more frustraing to deal with.  It took them a long time to respond to my emails, and, when they did get back to me, they did so without comprehensively answering my questions in any useful way.  I was discouraged, but Jon's family loved the restaurant that this caterer ran in a neighboring town, so I persisted.  Eventually, though, I got fed up with how much effort I was putting into trying to connect with them.  After all, I was hoping to give them my business - they shouldn't have been making it quite so difficult for me!

So, finally, I contacted the third company.  I entered my information on the form they had set up on their website - and, before an hour had passed, I got up a call on my mobile from one of the co-owners.  The conversation lasted half an hour; Justin was truly interested in what Jon and I wanted from our catering, and the way he talked about their past and current projects was inspiring.  He and his wife Helen run The Movable Feast, and I knew I wanted to work with them within ten minutes of picking up the phone.  A few days later, I got an email from Helen with their sample menu tailored to what Justin and I had discussed.  She and I had another long call, which was followed by a second menu, this one even more closely echoing the details of our chat.  It was amazing.  I felt like Justin and Helen really cared about our vision - they were more than happy to help us, not only by listening to our thoughts but also by suggesting ways we might be even more creative.  They seemed so enthusiastic about our celebration, and even just over the phone I was completely comfortable putting this crucial piece of the evening in their hands.


We've now confirmed with The Movable Feast, and Helen and I have been in regular contact all summer although we won't have our tasting until my spring trip to England.  I'm delighted to be working with them - and I'm delighted to say that they have a new website, so go check it out!

18 comments:

  1. what is it with vendors not responding to e mails?? I know this is not just a UK problem, it happens in the US too, but wtf?? Do you NOT want money??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear it took so long to get a call back! Stopping by from the Charming Occasion Wedding Wednesday blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so frustrating when companies, wedding or non-wedding, don't respond back or act like they care about your business! Glad the third try was a charm! :) It sounds like they really care about making you and your fiance happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There really is nothing like a company who takes their customer service seriously. SO IMPORTANT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know! there's so much competition amongst talent that I really do think it often comes down to relationships - which we clients/consumers can't build alone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. exactly my thoughts. in the grand scheme of things, I wasn't asking for the moon - I just wanted to be comfortable giving them my business!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We struggled with our first venue's required caterers, as the menus were more focused towards fancy descriptions and not towards good food. It was actually the #1 perk of changing our venue- we could bring in our own food- barbecue! I looked at the Moveable Feast's site, though, and their food looks good- and their menus sound delicious- fancy food words rather than just fancy descriptor words! I hope it's just as delicious as it sounds!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your venue looks beautiful and I am sure you will be so happy in the space. I was a wedding planner at the Cincinnati Art Museum this summer and loved being part of the wedding hype! I hope you're having a great week, if you have time I'd love for you to stop by Twirling Clare to enter my giveaway from Brighthouse Baubles. The winner will be announced on Friday!
    Toodles,
    Twirling Clare
    twirlingclare.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. That food looks delish! One of the most important things when choosing my caterer was that they not only focused on food, but that it was displayed in a classy and beautiful way. They succeeded! Everything seems to be coming together for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you got a happy conclusion, but what a frustrating process! Totally makes me want to just elope ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post...This is great information for people who are looking for wedding catering services....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Catering is the activity of given that food and beverage for special events such as Wedding Catering, graduations, ceremonies, corporate events.Thanks for keeping this website, I’ll be visiting it. Thanks admin

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fantastic way to prove that first impressions aren’t always right! I’m glad you found the caterer of your dreams. It’s important to have not only great food, but also professional caterers who truly care about what their clients want. I’m sure your caterers are going to do a great job at your wedding. Congratulations and best wishes!

    -- Neva Modzelewski

    ReplyDelete
  14. We believe a beautifully presented, delicious meal, and impeccable service is of the up most importance for your wedding day.
    http://tres-chic.co.uk/what-we-do/wedding-caterers-london

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had my wedding catered and it was so nice. It took a lot of stress off my parents and my fiances parents. All we basically had to do is show up. Plus the food tasted really good so there were no complaints there. http://www.redpearcatering.com.au/weddings.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the post! I like the Wedding Wednesday theme. This catered food looks incredible, and honestly I feel that this is the way to do weddings, that way you don't have to worry about dishes or cooking, you just write the check. Plus you can go to big places like these and have the food catered, as opposed to going to a restaurant with limited space. Thanks again!
    Tim | Campion Rose Burns

    ReplyDelete
  17. The blog is really very informative. Thanks! To make any event or
    party successful, the most important thing to consider is catering. It is very
    difficult to find a reliable and trustworthy caterer that provides an
    impeccable service of high quality and healthy food for the event. The internet
    is filled with ample websites that provides different types of catering
    services in Miami
    . The caterers provide healthy and tasty food for
    different types of events in a safe and drug free workplace.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts and suggestions! Please do leave a comment so we can get to know each other better.