Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Guest Post: Roots, Wings, and Other Things

Once I got over my oh-my-God-there-are-so-many-expat-blogs-on-the-interwebs meltdown, I immediately bookmarked Roots, Wings, and Other Things.  Daryl, an American living in Frankfurt with her handsome German husband, lives life to the fullest in the most wonderful unapologetic way.  She explores everything wholeheartedly - from expat issues to marriage intricacies to travel conundrums - and shares all of her discoveries with us along the way.  I so admire her gusto, which is why I'm delighted that she's here as a guest blogger today!

*****


Hi! I'm Daryl, an American who has taken up residence in Frankfurt, Germany. While Frankfurt is a great place to live, I can't say it's a "Tourist" type of city...in fact, if you came here to visit for more than a day or two you'd probably run out of things to "see."

So when I'm asked what to go see in Frankfurt by visiting friends or blog readers, I have a very short list of things to offer them. The "attraction" at the top of my list isn't really an attraction at all...but that's good, because it's free!
THE FRANKFURT SKYLINE


I think that the Frankfurt skyline is incredibly beautiful, particularly at sunset and at night when the city is all lit up. To me, nothing is more romantic or enjoyable than a stroll along the Main (pronounced MINE) river with a view such as this. There are many places to view the skyline (this particular view comes from one of the many bridges that crosses the river.)


If you cross one of those bridges, you'll be brought to the south side of the river which is perfect for relaxing. There are large grassy areas so pack a picnic and watch the sun disappear behind the skyscrapers! Who needs a meal at a fancy restaurant when you can dine with a view such as this?


You can even go one step further and book a Skyline river cruise! Tickets are available on the north side of the river, near the old town and cost eight Euros for person with discounts for students, seniors and children. They serve food and drinks on board, so kick back, soak up the sun and enjoy the panaramic views that a position on a boat deck provides you!

Thanks for taking the time to read about my little city in Central Europe. If you'd like to read more about my adventures (In Frankfurt and elsewhere) feel free to check out my blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts and suggestions! Please do leave a comment so we can get to know each other better.