Friday, September 7, 2012

Frock Fridays: Back to School

Back to school... three of the most beautiful words in the English language, don't you think?  Except for a few tough years as a preteen, I loved going back to school.  I loved the sight of my classmates filing in for opening services, the smell of fresh pencil shavings falling into a wastepaper basket, and the sound of a textbook's spine breaking as I opened it to start a new academic year.

Don't you love New York in the fall?
It makes me wanna buy school supplies.
I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils
if I knew your name and address.
- You've Got Mail

For a while, I loved education and learning so much that I really wanted to be a teacher.  When I was looking for employment in the spring of 2009, as I was finishing up my MA, all of the jobs I applied for were teaching positions - all but two, actually, one of which I was offered, which is mostly why I work in arts fundraising.  It's still a dream of mine to teach; perhaps it'll be my second career.

The first day of school was the perfect excuse for a fresh sartorial start each year.  I'd be wearing NorthFace fleeces with my hair in a ponytail every day by November, but I'd always step up my game for those first crisp weeks of September.  I'm sure that it would be the same if I were a teacher - so, if I had to go back to school today, I'd wear something like this:

7 comments:

  1. As a former Catholic school uniform wearer, back to school shoppin always meant school supply shopping to me. I definitely still treat myself to some fancy desk tippers each fall!

    I love that dress! Perfect for so so many things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa Vanzant-BirchSeptember 7, 2012 at 9:35 AM

    I literally wore that dress yesterday! Great minds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her Late Night CravingsSeptember 7, 2012 at 5:00 PM

    Oh I love that movie!!! A bouquet of newly sharpened pencils...love it! And speaking of love...that outfit you put together if fabulous!


    Jayme

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, hello, most perfect outfit ever! I love that dress so, so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous outfit! I'm dying for that purse!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you thank you! that movie always makes me want to go back to college - my grands lived on the upper west side while I was at school, and so many of their old haunts featured in that movie! love it :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts and suggestions! Please do leave a comment so we can get to know each other better.