Thursday, July 12, 2012

Midweek Mantra


My high school boyfriend used to say that he didn't expect much from people because then he wouldn't be disappointed by them.  It was such a dark and worldly view, I thought at the time.  He must have been through a lot to be so jaded - maybe I could be the one to teach him that sometimes dreams do come true!  (Hey, I was 16.  We're all idiots at that age.  I bet you made inappropriate choices about your love life then, too.  Stop judging me.)

In the decade since that relationship, I've realized this: [expletive] that [expletive].  Loving someone is all about expecting things from them - whether it's as mundane as taking out the trash every week or as meaningful as understanding when you need help without you having to ask for it.  And those from whom you expect the world should be flattered, because it means that you'd go to the ends of the earth to be there for them.

Yes, it can hurt when your loved ones don't live up to your expectations.  But that doesn't mean you should stop expecting extraordinary things, because they will come.  They will.

2 comments:

I love reading your thoughts and suggestions! Please do leave a comment so we can get to know each other better.