Sunday, November 20, 2011

Thanksgiving in London

Hello from Boston!  Jon and I had lots of fun on the flight over trying to talk as if we were in The Departed - I mean, The Depahted.  I'm pretty sure we annoyed the hell out of the guy sitting next to us.  I think my blogging plan for this week will be to focus on Thanksgiving; I'll tell you all about my trip home once I've returned.  (Hindsight is 20/20, they say, so you'll get a clearer view.  The things I do for you, dear readers!)



Therefore!  Thanksgiving.  And to start - although I'm currently in the land of the free and the home of the brave - let's talk about Thanksgiving in London.  What's an expat to do when work or finances or other obligations keep her in that green and pleasant land across the Atlantic?  Luckily, there are options available to you, o wanderer-who-is-far-from home.  I've picked out three equally amazing yet incredibly different possibilities for you:

You could head to Bea's of Bloomsbury for a communal feast priced at £45 per person (plus £15 for an unlimited drink ticket).  Their savory food is just as amazing and creative as their cakes, so check it out if you want a slightly indie and boutique Thanksgiving experience.

Or you could make a reservation at Hix at the Albemarle.  The classiest choice of these three, the restaurant has a special set menu for £49.50 per person (not including drinks) and is the place to go if you want white tablecloths and an impressive winelist.

If you're jonesing for a a down-and-dirty celebration of everything America holds dear, book your spot at Bodean's BBQ all-day feast.  The screens will be tuned to NFL from 5:30pm - for £20.95 per person, this is your spot if you want a gloriously collegiate five-napkin experience.


Of course, if you're a homebody the truly perfect option is to head to Whole Foods to pick up containers of your favorite culinary bits of Thanksgiving; sometimes the best way to appreciate what you have is by curling up on the couch and watching reruns of The Inbetweeners over a cardboard box of tryptophan and a bottle of red.  (I swear I'm not judging you.  Actually, this sounds sort of ideal.)

Much love to all back in London, and remember: even if you're working all week, it's technically a holiday from tomorrow through Friday if you're American , so take it easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts and suggestions! Please do leave a comment so we can get to know each other better.