Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Holiday Traveling in Style

Thanksgiving is tomorrow, dear readers!  Are you ready?  I hope you're all packed and prepared - unless, of course, you're indulging like Danielle with family in and meals out.  (Lunch cooked by a Wolseley-trained chef?  Yes, please!)  However you're celebrating the holiday, I wish that your stress levels will be low and your bliss high.  I for one have sworn not to call my office while I'm away, although my track record is pretty bad as it's slightly a little bit possible that I rang them while in DC last year...

via

If you're suffering the indignities of transatlantic travel - we flew American Airlines, where the stewardesses were grumpy, the hot lunch left a lot to be desired, and the TV screens were communal rather than personal - remember the serenity prayer:

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.

In this spirit, I feel that the best way to travel is with lashings of style.  If I could, I'd invest in a few gorgeous timeless pieces that would take me across the ocean and back for years.

I'd need a huge Mulberry suitcase that I could check; it would have to be flexible enough to allow me to cram in more pairs of shoes than I'd actually need but sturdy enough to withstand being thrown around the baggage carousel...


I'd need a large Longchamp weekender that I could carry on the plane; it would have to be the perfect size not only to bring on long trips but also to serve as my main bag for shorter jaunts and would need to fold up easily when not in use...


I'd need a roomy but structured Céline purse that could fit the essentials plus a laptop; it would have to be eye-catching enough not to get lost under the seat in front of me but conservative enough to match any outfit I might choose...


And then, if I had a little change left over, I'd splurge on a monogrammed pink Smythson passport case.  I mean, why not?


After all, if you have to shlep, you might as well look good doing it.

3 comments:

  1. Hahah great post, love the suitcases! You're welcome to come for lunch any time - it's a real treat! Have a great holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a pink Smythson passport cover and I loathe pink - I have no idea what made me buy it 8 years ago! I cringe every time I take it out at the airport.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! I currently have a navy passport holder and it always gets lost in the dark depths of my bag - I thought that pink might stand out more! But I suppose it could get a bit much over time...

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts and suggestions! Please do leave a comment so we can get to know each other better.