Friday, August 13, 2010

A Little Inspiration

I know I've been bad about blogging for the past week or so - I'm going to blame it on not having had internet in the house, having been being busy with work, and a general lack of inspiration.  But fear not!  For lo, I have internet, no work, and lots of inspiration.  Gird your loins, dear readers: this is going to be an epic post.

Now, first things first.  My flat.  You want to see photos of it.  I know, I know.  I have to tell you, though, that I've been finding it very hard to photograph the flat properly!  It's very presentable at the mo' (because I went on a cleaning binge following the messiness of last night's dinner party) but I just can't get good photos that show all of each room.  Basically, if you want to see my flat you'll have to come visit.  And yet I am not wholly cruel: I hereby send you to photos of another beautiful London flat.  Find these images of the flat of Shabby Chic designer Rachel Ashwell in the Aug/Sept issue of the lovely online magazine Lonny starting on page 102.  (Although I'm still in the honeymoon phase with my flat, I find myself with a wandering eye...) 

But life isn't all fantasy - after all, I have Ikea.  And I love Ikea.  (Who doesn't love Ikea?)  John and Sam and I trekked out to Croydon - not somewhere you want to go if you can help it - the other day to hit up one of London's Ikeas and stocked up on the furniture our flat was missing (mirrors, a nightstand for me, a big bookshelf for the living room, etc.) and the little things we wanted/needed (more wine glasses, oven mitts, a crocodile-shaped no-slip mat for the bath, etc.) and then had a ball putting everything together and/or in its place.

The flat really is coming together nicely.  Though Sam is now off to Greece and Scotland for the next three weeks and John is in and out of the flat as the wind blows him, I think this feels like home to all of us.  Certainly it feels like home to me.  You know how I know?  I've been tidying compulsively ever since we moved in.  I was terrible at cleaning Jon's old house for the six weeks I lived there because, I believe, it didn't feel like my home and so I didn't take pride in it.  This is definitely my home and I want it to be the best it can be.

(Side note: at last night's dinner party, all three of my boys dresses up in suits of their own volition.  I love them.)

In other news, I'm going to Glyndebourne tomorrow!  The ringleader of our gay Glyndebourne group (check out that alliteration!) texted me with the menu she's planning for our interval picnic, and it is so gorgeously over the top - I can't wait.  I found the most beautiful dress to wear - you'll see pictures, don't worry, and that will count as Frock Fridays - and am really looking forward to getting glammed up.  Yes, I'm excited about the opera, too, obviously, but Glyndebourne is about the whole experience, not just the opera.  Besides, you can't plan for the opera.  You can only plan your outfit and the food!

Speaking of getting glam, I came across (can't remember where) this Dove video challenging our perceptions of beauty.  It really struck me and so I want to share it with you:


What do you think of the video?  Of its message?  I'm interested to read your take on it!

Okay, I think that on that uplifting note I will end this post.  Speak soon!

P.S. I am becoming British.  A friend complained yesterday of the mess made by her subletters, and today I asked her, "Is your flat in a better state?"  Lord help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts and suggestions! Please do leave a comment so we can get to know each other better.