Monday, June 21, 2010

Notes on Moving

1.  If you're shipping a couple of boxes overseas, go old school and use the post office.  USPS charged me $150 less than UPS would have - so worth the extra week it will take for the boxes to arrive!  (Of course, if you're actually moving your whole house you should use a company, and I am the wrong girl to ask about that.)

2.  Don't pack any clothes you haven't worn in the past six months.  You didn't wear it then, you won't wear it now.  For that matter, don't own any clothes you haven't worn in the past six months - or that don't fit you.  Give them to friends or to a consignment shop or to charity.  Seriously, you don't want to lug that "if I just lose x pounds I'll fit into it" dress across an ocean.

3.  Ask yourself what you'll really need from home to start a new life.  Your chosen county will have most of what you'd be bringing over - save yourself the luggage weight by buying new things there.  I'm talking about shampoo and bedsheets and alarm clocks.  Actually, your American alarm clock won't work in the UK anyway - most electronics won't, so you might as well splurge and get new ones once you arrive!  (Plus, that way you have the fun of exploring new shops!)

That's all I can think of for now!  More to follow, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts and suggestions! Please do leave a comment so we can get to know each other better.