Friday, April 16, 2010

Cohabiting and Compromise

Jon and I met in October 2008, at the end of my first week in London, and this weekend we're celebrating a year and a half together.  That's not very long in the grand scheme of things, I know, but circumstances are forcing us to take things faster than we otherwise might.  We've decided to go all in - though I can't think of too many things more extreme than moving across the Atlantic for a guy - and move in together when I get to London.  Neither one of us has cohabited with a significant other before, so this should be an adventure - and an exercise in patience and compromise!

Jon and Betsy on Valentine's Day 2010

We have the option of living in a house with friends, but we're looking forward to making our own place.  I'd much rather be in a one-bedroom than a studio - I'm sure that one or the other of us will need a door to slam sometimes - but, because of budget constraints, we might not have too much choice.  However, I've been fantasy property-hunting online and have found some really promising places.  Of course, none of the flats I've found will still be available when I get to London, but encouraging to know that there's stuff I like out there!

We've already had to start practicing the art of compromise, actually, even in talking about where we might live.  My one condition for our flat is that it has to be in Zone 2 and within a ten minute walk of a tube station - not an overground station, not a DLR station, not a train station, but a tube station. Jon wants to be in south or east London.  Luckily for both of us, it looks like the majority of places we'll be able to afford within Zone 2 are in south or east London.  We'll have to do some exploring by foot before making any decisions, but a lot of my internet searches are coming up with properties in Camberwell, Kennington, and Bermondsey, all of which are south of the river.  Honestly, these aren't the neighborhoods I'd pick if money was no issue - then I'd be in Islington, Hampstead, or Chelsea/Kensington - but they're up-and-coming areas, and they're relatively central.  I suppose a bonus to being in a less desirable location is that we will probably find a bigger flat for less money than we would spend on the same flat in a more desirable location.

Speaking of small flats - well, no, I'll save that for another post.  I'm sure you're all waiting with bated breath!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts and suggestions! Please do leave a comment so we can get to know each other better.